Sunday, July 5, 2009

No bunnies were harmed in the writing of this post

Woke up to something new today. As I started to come downstairs, Alison looked up and told me that there was a baby rabbit in one of our basement window wells. YAY! Funny enough, I was just talking about this possibility with my father-in-law the night before. We have covers over each of the wells, but the one under the deck got us this time.

You see, the deck is about two feet off the ground. The window well ends at ground level. Unfortunately, the grate is on the deck level, meaning that there is about 2 feet of space for little critters to make their way under the deck and into the abyss of doom (I’m serious. We noticed at least two corpses, a pile of bones and a skull down there - an actual skull! Looks like a cow skull in the desert. Can’t wait to clean that out!). And that’s just what one cute little baby rabbit did. I hope they are as oblivious as some people make them out to be, because I would hate to think what was going through this poor bunny’s mind - stuck in a deep hole with no way out and the remains of relatives surrounding him.

Well, Alison and I managed to maneuver a box this way and that while using a pole to coax the little guy in and out to safety. Next stop: Home Depot.

I ran in, bought some metal wire netting, a staple gun (mine is in a box somewhere), and some tin snips. When I got home I promptly shredded my hands in about eight places - three of which seemed to really enjoy bleeding - and eventually cut and shaped some extremely sharp (and mean!) wire mesh in such a way that it should keep out the critters.

While I know many of you enjoy the photos we usually post, you will thank me for sparing you this time. Know anyone who cleans out rotted corpses, skulls and bones? YECH!

No comments:

Post a Comment