Monday, September 28, 2009

Quotable kids

Abby has picked up some new phrases lately from, I suspect, her new obsession, Olivia. (It's a Noggin cartoon based on some books--kinda cute, actually.) The thing is, she doesn't completely understand how to use them. Case in point:

1. I asked her to hand me something PJ had dropped. She sighed, picked it up, handed it to me and said, "I quit."

2. We're walking through a parking lot the other day and she lets go of my hand and jogs around to my other side. "I want to hold this hand. It's fine by me, of course."

And I'm kicking myself because there was another one that I can't remember. Dangit.

We were watching Disney's "Earth" today--not nearly as good as we had hoped, and it terrified poor Abby--and when the elephants came on PJ said, "Cow!"

"No, elephant," I said.

"Cow."

"El-e-phant."

"Moo?"

"Elephant!"

"Cow."

When the monkeys came on she kept saying, "Mommy!" I was not about to let that one go. So I kept saying "monkey" and eventually she said, "Moh-key!" So now she has cow, monkey, doggie, and caaaat. 

Now if we could just get 'elephant'...

2 comments:

  1. Just to clarify the whole, "abby was terrified of the Earth movie" thing, it was not that I let her watch animals eating animals or anything. She has recently presented a "fear" of loud sounds such as intense music. Basically, music and sound effects that are designed to manipulate the senses, REALLY manipulate her senses. Hearing them in 5.1 surround sound on Blu-ray probably doesn't help.

    She also gets upset - though not so much anymore - by the cheering that takes place when your team scores. Now, for the most part, if she hears anything that sounds worthy of cheering from a televised sporting event, she just stops whatever she is doing and runs and jumps on my lap and gives me a big hug. She equates home runs, goals and touch downs and things daddy gets happy about - even when it's the other team that scores. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ya. To clarify the whole, "not nearly as good as we hoped" thing about Earth, the more I think about it, the more disappointed I am in it. No doubt the footage was amazing. However, the problem was that the film tried to do too much. They attempted to follow three animal families on the one hand and on the other, they kept cutting to glimpses of random "big picture" footage that had nothing to do with the families. A film doing primarily either of these things would have been better, but given the route they chose, we never really felt involved in either aspect.

    That said, one thing it did was imply a creator throughout. And by that, I do not simply mean that the beauty of nature suggested a creator. What I mean is that, in every example of "nature, red in tooth and claw" we see a world that perfectly reflects the curse. Animals were not created to eat or fear each other and when we witness the "circle of life" we are reminded of this and that there will once again be a day when the lion will lay with the lamb.

    ReplyDelete