Sunday, September 20, 2009

The one drawback to Colorado

FAIR WARNING: If you are squeamish about creepy crawly things, you probably shouldn't read the rest of this post. If you're cool with them, or your curiosity is going to get the better of you regardless of your fears, then scroll down to read the rest.







































There aren't many things about Colorado that I don't like. I can only think of a handful: The way they hardly post any speed limit signs, so you go for miles wondering if you're speeding or if you're ticking off everyone behind you. The "no double turns" signs we see at some intersections in Denver and have yet to learn the meaning of. And then these little gems:

That's a wolf spider. It gave me the fright of my life when I went to put out the garbage the other day. Luckily our exterminating service had been to the house recently, and this is one of the spiders they spray for, so it was on its last legs when I found it. At first I thought it was dead because it wouldn't move even when I tossed things at it. I managed to sweep it out of the garage, where it stayed for quite a while, though when we went out with Dan later in the day it started to move again. 



Once I was over my initial heart-slamming, hand-shaking shock, I was able to get pretty close and really examine it. If you click on the link, you'll see an illustration that shows the unique design on the upper half of its body. You can't tell in this picture, but it has that same "union jack" design on it. It was actually really cool to see. They're poisonous but not lethal, and so far we've only seen two others, and both of them were outside the garage, yay. 

There's not much I'd change about our new home, but I have to admit this is one of them.

1 comment:

  1. We've actually seen about 3 or 4 others, if by "we" we are including "me." Fortunately, all of them were just outside the garage door and also on their last legs. Though two of them gave me a bit of a fight as I beat the crap out of them with a rake. : )

    ReplyDelete