Sunday, January 10, 2010

You say it's your birthday....

...let's celebrate with a total parenting fail!

Dan's birthday was fun, until we got to bedtime. Rewind to the beginning...

The girls and I got up at 7:45. We ran to King Soopers and got a cake mix and cards and donuts for breakfast, then went home and got the cake baked while Dan was still sleeping. After he was up and ready to go, I told him, "You know, the girls got up pretty late this morning. We could actually go out and do some stuff and not have to worry about nap time until later than usual. Heck, PJ will probably just snooze in the car at some point." So off we went for birthday adventures!

First stop: Red Robin for lunch. He got a complimentary hot fudge sundae, which he only had about 3 bites of. I had about 6 or 7 bites. Abby had...pretty much the rest. Not the entire thing, but a heck of a lot more than I thought she would have had, given she hadn't been hungry enough to eat all her mac and cheese, which almost never happens. (PJ, on the other hand, ate a ton of it. Go PJ!)

Second stop: the latest Super Target, which dwarfs pretty much any other Target we've ever been to. (Yes, we consider Target a 'destination'.) Did a little shopping, then back to the car--where Abby's Red Robin balloon sailed out the door of the van before anyone could grab it. The was much wailing and gnashing of little baby teeth. To soothe her, we went to...

Third stop: Baskin-Robbins. Dan had a coupon for a free small scoop, which he gave to Abby in exchange for the lost balloon. She had chocolate and ate nearly the whole thing.

Fourth stop: Home, where we frosted the cake, decorated it, put in the fun candles with the colored flames, and listened as Mommy sang "Happy Birthday" since Abby refused to help, even though she knows all the words. OF COURSE she wanted a slice of cake, and me, being an idiot, gave her some.




She didn't stop bouncing until I put her to bed at 9:30.

I have never seen this child move so much. At once point she was sitting on Dan's lap, and her whole upper body was swaying in circles. It finally dawned on us that, holy cow, the girl is totally hopped up on sugar! I've never seen such a clear reaction before.

And poor PJ finally fell asleep nursing at 4:15. Not wanting her to go to bed super-late, I woke her at 4:55, and she spent the next 45 minutes alternately nursing and weeping, "Bed! Bed!" Knowing she'd be up at 4 in the morning if I put her down too soon, I kept putting her off, until she got her second wind. Well, 6:30 rolled around and I thought, "Good enough, time for bed!" But of course, now she was wiiiiiide awake. I tried my hardest, but she alternately nursed and cried "Stop it!" until 7pm when Dan came up and relieved me for about 5 minutes before just bringing her down.

I finally took them upstairs at 9. They both konked quickly once I got them in bed (not that getting them in was easy; it was the kind of night that would typically make me skip the whole tooth-brushing struggle, but definitely NOT after all the crap Abby ate!), and that was 9:30. Neither of them actually looked tired when I took them up; I just prayed they'd zonk. Thank you, Lord!

So anyway...Happy Birthday to my hubby! Hopefully it was a good day for him despite the whacked-out kids. :) I love you, babe!!!

2 comments:

  1. Love you too! It was a good day. And the sundae at Pirates (our secret name for Red Robin - R.R., or Argh Argh) was for the girls. I got the free hamburger, which I did not eat a bite of until the next night. I wasn't hungry yet after all my breakfast donuts and whatnot.

    If Bart Simpson were hopped up on sugar, it could not have been drawn any more clearly and entertainingly than how Abby represented. It was hilarious. Ali and I simply could not be mad at the girls. Everything they were doing was clearly our fault. I could not stop laughing as we watched Abby wobble and wiggle and jump and just go crazy. I'll never forget that birthday.

    ReplyDelete